THE YEO FAMILY TREE
The Yeos came from Devon in England and went into Cornwall. They were landed gentry.
Coat of arms
Other Yeo researchers
Yeo Reunion June 2006 in Devon, England
Back to Jean's Genealogy Index
Yeo line linked to Kings of England
Yeo's from St. Cleer
Yeo / Crocker link
Yeo Pigots 1831and other information
John YEO occupation Butcher, m. 07-Mar-1667, Martha HUMBLEY( HAMBLY), . I think that Martha remarried. There is a marriage for a Martha Yeo to William Orchard on the 12th November, 1696 in Stratton.
I. Philip YEO b. abt 1670, Alwington,
Devon, m. Margaret BOND
, d. 1765. Philip died 1760. Margaret was born 5 Sep 1683 (film 0916953) to
Richard and Julian Bond (Has been spelt Julian, Julyon, Julion) Richard Bond
and Julian Facy were married in Nth Tamerton on the 22 Dec 1682, by licence
Julian Bond died in Nth Tamerton in 1747
B. Philip YEO b. abt 1705, m. 30-Apr-1730, in Kilkhampton, Cornwall, Elizabeth HOPGOOD .
3. Philip YEO baptised 14-Sep-1735, Kilkhampton, Cornwall.
C. Richard YEO b. abt 1707.
D. Rose YEO b.Mar 5th 1709
E.. John YEO b. abt1712, m. (1) 11-Jul-1738, in Alwington, Devon, Elizabeth RODD , m. (2) 1750, in Bodmin, Cornwall, Elizabeth HAWKES .
c. John YEO bpt 08-Nov-1771
d. Mary YEO bpt 13-Oct-1776 bur 20-Nov-1777
e. William YEO bpt 13-Oct-1778 m Jane
f. Philip YEO bpt 20-Feb-1789 m Frances PEAT 29-Sep-1811 Parkham
 Jane YEO abt 1838
 Philip Thomas YEO abt 1835 m Emma
 Maria YEO abt 1838
g. Mary YEO bpt 25-Sep-1791
2. Elizabeth YEO baptised 19-Jan-1752, Stoke Damerel, Pymouth, Devon.
3. Simon YEO baptised 02-Jan-1754, Stoke Damerel, Pymouth, Devon.
4. George YEO baptised 19-Oct-1755, Stoke Damerel, Pymouth, Devon.
5. Joseph YEO baptised 20-Jul-1757, Stoke Damerel, Pymouth, Devon.
6. Mary YEO baptised 20-Jul-1757, Stoke Damerel, Pymouth, Devon.
7. Rose YEO baptised 22-Jul-1759, Stoke Damerel, Pymouth, Devon.
F. Symon YEO b. abt1715, d.1739, North Tamerton, Cornwall.
G. Robert YEO b. abt 1717, m. (1) Rosammund , b. 11-Feb-1736?, m. (2) 11-Oct-1741, in Kilkhampton, Cornwall, Elizabeth ELLIOT .
3. James YEO baptised 10-May-1747, Morwenstow, Cornwall, m. in Morwenstow, Cornwall, Grace BRAGG .
(c) John YEO b. 1829.
(d) Mary Ann YEO b. 04-Feb-1833, d. 07-Feb-1847.
(e) Charlotte YEO b. Dec-1837, Stratton, Cornwall.
(f) Philip YEO b. 02-Jan-1839, Morwenstow, Cornwall, occupation Tailor, m. 03-Apr-1862, in Newport, Wales, Mary Ann EVANS . Philip died 19-Mar-1898, Cardiff, Wales.
 Arthur Wesley YEO b.Dec-1864, Cardiff, Wales, d.Dec-1868.
 Bernard Henry YEO b. 12-Aug-1869, Cardiff, Wales, occupation Tailor, m. 26-Feb-1893, in Cardiff, Wales, Ada SMITH . Bernard died 16-Dec-1948, Middlesex, London.
[C] Bernard Royston Leslie YEO b. 19-Jul-1900, occupation Tailor, m. 13-Jul-1926, in Middlesex, London, Elizabeth KUHR . Bernard died 14-Feb-1971, Wiltshire.
2. Gillian Ann YEO
3. Jennifer YEO
[D] Muriel YEO b. 22-Jul-1912.
[E] Cyril Henry YEO b. 22-Jul-1912, occupation Tailor, d. 31-Jan-1945, At sea.
 Leila Ada YEO b. 1872, Cardiff, Wales.
 Hubert Ernest YEO b.1874, Cardiff, Wales, d.1875.
 Marion Elizabeth YEO b.1876, Cardiff, Wales, d.1877.
 Mary W YEO
(g) Alice YEO b. between April-June-1841, Bideford, Devon.
(h) Grace YEO
(2) John YEO baptised 22-Oct-1803, Holesworthy, Devon, m. Ann .
(c) Elizabeth Ann YEO baptised 21-Jun-1835, Kilkhampton, Cornwall.
(d) Elizabth Ann YEO baptised 1848.
(3) William YEO baptised 28-Oct-1806, Holesworthy, Devon, m. Mary Ann HOBBS .
(c) Elizabeth YEO baptised 20-Sep-1835, Kilkhampton, Cornwall.
(d) John YEO baptised 1839, m. 1863, in Kilkhampton, Cornwall, Mary Ann TUCKER .
 Ada Matilda YEO
(4) Elizabeth YEO
(5) Charlotte YEO
b. Philip YEO baptised 10-Jan-1773.
4. Richard YEO baptised 10-Sep-1749, Kilkhampton, Cornwall, occupation Carpenter, m. (1) 23-May-1774, in Whitstone, Susanna SPRY (dau of Richard SPRY, who was married to Elizabeth BOASE), , m. (2) Mereen MOYE .
(3) Robert YEO baptised 14-May-1809, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon, occupation Builder, m. (1) Ann WEBBER , m. (2) Mary BUCK .
 Gladys YEO b. 1884, Hampstead, London.
 Ivy Margaret YEO b. 1885, Hampstead, London.
 Leslie Farquher YEO b. 1893, Hampstead, London.
(b) Mary YEO b. abt 1841.
(c) Ann Maria YEO
(d) Robert E YEO b. abt 1846, d. Jun-1873, St. Giles, London.
(e) Helen Jane YEO
(f) Cordelia YEO b. abt 1847.
(g) Gerald YEO b. 1866, Wandsworth, London, d. 1949, Westminster, London.
(4) Richard YEO baptised 19-May-1811, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon, m. (1) 20-Aug-1840, Elizabeth BRIMICOMBE , b. 1815, Buckland, Devon, m. (2) Catherine FORSTER .
(c) Richard Forster YEO b. 1867, d.1931.
(d) Robert Arthur YEO b.1868, d. 1899.
(e) Katherine Mary YEO b.1869, d. 1947.
(f) Marion Ada YEO b. 1870, d. 1954.
(g) Charles Harding YEO b. 1871, d. 1883.
(h) Dorothy Louisa YEO b. 1877.
(i) Ethel Maud YEO b. 1892.
(j) Henry Reginald YEO b. 1895, m. (1)1901, Lilian de CARTERET , m. (2) Dorothy MOSLEY .
[C] Vicky YEO
[D] Patsy YEO
 Robert YEO
 John YEO
 Helen Zira YEO
(5) Samuel YEO baptised 10-Mar-1813, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon, m. Jane
(6) William YEO baptised 19-Feb-1814, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon, m. Louisa DEARA .
(c) William Richard YEO baptised 14-Mar-1852, Paddington, London.
(7) Julia YEO baptised 11-Aug-1816, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon, m. _ NICHOLS .
(8) John YEO baptised 31-May-1818, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon, m. Mary Ann ? .
(b) Florence YEO
(10) Thomas YEO baptised 27-Oct-1821, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon.
(11) Martha YEO baptised 27-Apr-1823, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon.
(12) Mary YEO baptised 1823, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon.
(13) Ann YEO baptised 27-Feb-1824, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon.
(14) Maria YEO baptised 19-Nov-1826, Ide, nr Exeter, Devon.
(15) Philip YEO baptised 13-Nov-1832.
b. Elizabeth YEO baptised 03-Nov-1776, North Petherwin.
c. Susanna YEO baptised 01-Nov-1778, North Petherwin.
d. Mary YEO baptised 23-Mar-1784, Launceston, Cornwall.
e. John YEO baptised 14-Apr-1787, Launceston, Cornwall.
f. Thomas YEO baptised 31-Jan-1791, Launceston, Cornwall.
5. Elizabeth YEO baptised 08-Mar-1752.
6. Jane YEO baptised 12-Sep-1755.
7. Robert YEO baptised 05-Sep-1758.
H. Mary YEO baptised 03-Sep-1720, North Tamerton, Cornwall, d.1721, North Tamerton, Cornwall.
I. William YEO b. 1722, North Tamerton, Cornwall, m. Bridget RUNDLE? .
3. William YEO baptised 11-Feb-1757, Stratton, Cornwall, m. 28-May-1784, in Marmanchurch, Catherine SLEEMAN , baptised 18-Aug-1759, Jacobstow. William died 20-Jun-1819, Stratton, Cornwall.
c. James YEO bpt 04-Apr- 1789 Marhamchurch d 19- Jan-1848 Padstow, Cornwall m Alice MAY b 1779 St Breward, 23-Mar 1811 at Padstow
d. Richard YEO bpt 07-Oct- 1792 Marhamchurch d. 22-Dec-1886 Bideford, m in Bideford 10-Jul-1837 Elizabeth Brook ELLIS
(3) Richard YEO bpt 30-Jul-1845 Bideford m Annette. In 1881 he was a tea dealer died 19-Jun-1920 Bideford.
(4) Amelia YEO bpt 30-Jul-1845 Bideford m James NORRINGTON
(5) Henry YEO bpt 21-Oct-1847 Bideford. 1881 was an insurance brokerin Exeter m Sarah
e. Catherine YEO bpt 13-Jan-1793 Marhamchurch
f. Catherine YEO bpt bpt 26-Apr-1795 Marhamchurch m William MARTIN
g. Peter YEO bpt 26-Mar-1797 Marhamchurch
h. Bridget YEO bpt 28-Jul-1799 Marhamchurch m 18-May-1818 Stratton Thomas JOHNS of Holesworthy.
4. Philip YEO baptised 24-Apr-1749, Stratton, Cornwall, buried 16-Feb-1840 m. (1) 04-Aug-1777, in Stratton, Cornwall, Elizabeth HIGGINS , m. (2) 17-Ap-1796, in Launcells, Mary DOCKET .
(c) Thomas YEO bpt 05-Aug-1832 m Ann GIST
(d) Richard YEO bpt 06-Jul-1834 m Elizabeth PENFOUND 1859
3. Thomas YEO bpt 1868
(e) Mary YEO bpt 16-Mar-1842
(f) John YEO bpt 07-May-1848
(g) Charles YEO bpt 15-Dec-1852 Stratton m Emma KINSMAN ?
3. John YEO bpt 1880
4. Edward YEO bpt 1883
5. Harry YEO bpt 1885
6. Mary E YEO bpt 1887
7. Thomas YEO bpt 1891
(2) Elizabeth YEO baptised 27-Aug-1809 Stratton
(3) William Davis YEO baptised 19-Jul-1812 Stratton
(4) John YEO baptised 14-Sep-1817 Stratton
(5) Jane YEO baptised 11-Nov-1821 Stratton
(6) William YEO baptised 17-Jul-1825 Stratton
(7) Thomas Martin YEO baptised 20-Jan-1828 Stratton
(8) Mary Ann YEO baptised 26-Sep-1830. Stratton m James LEGG
b. Mary YEO baptised 11-Nov-1781, Stratton, Cornwall.
c. Richard YEO baptised 15-Apr-1787, Stratton, Cornwall.
d. Elizabeth YEO baptised 29-Jan-1797, Stratton, Cornwall.
e. John YEO baptised 30-Jun-1799, Stratton, Cornwall.
f. Catherine YEO baptised 12-Dec-1802, Stratton, Cornwall.
g. Grace YEO baptised 12-Dec-1802, Stratton, Cornwall m William SMITH
5. Peter YEO baptised 05-Aug-1761, Stratton, Cornwall, m. Joanna Elizabeth ? .
6. James Rundle YEO baptised 26-Apr-1764, Stratton, Cornwall.
7. Richard YEO baptised 09-Aug-1766, Stratton, Cornwall.
8. Simon YEO
baptised 27-Sep-1769, Stratton, Cornwall, m. 31-Mar-1784, in North
Tamerton, Cornwall, Sarah BRAY of North
Her parents were Robert BRAY and Sarah WIVELL.
J. Samuel YEO b. 11-Oct-1724, North Tamerton, Cornwall, m. 19-May-1748, in Lansallos, Cornwall, Elizabeth JOHNS , baptised 06-Jun-1721, Lansallos, Cornwall, (daughter of Nicholas JOHNS and Susanna).
a. Samuel YEO b. abt 1778, m. 13-Jan-1809, in St Cleer, Cornwall, Grace HOOPER , b. abt 1787, d. 09-Aug-1827, Duloe, Cornwall.. Their bans were published 4 Nov, 11 Nov, and 27 Nov 1808. Witnesses to the marriage were John Hooper and Simuel Hinden. (Church film # 1,545,385 & 1,545,392). Was a bargeman from Duloe Parish.. Is there a connection?
(3) Samuel YEO b. abt 1813, m. 25-Apr-1822, in Plynt, Cornwall, Mary HEARLE , baptised abt 1813, St. Germans, Cornwall.
 Susan YEO b.1875.
 Willie YEO b.1877.
 Frederick John YEO b. 1879.
 Jessie Emmeline YEO b. 1880.
 Richard YEO b. 1885.
 Mary Jane YEO b. 1887, d. 1963.
(c) Mary Jane YEO b. abt 1842.
(d) Elizabeth YEO b. abt 1844.
(e) Samuel YEO b. Q4 1846 Tavistock, Devon died Q3 1928 Liskeard, m. Mary Jane HUTCHINGS Q1 1871 Plymouth .
 Mary Jane YEO b. abt 1875, Truro, Cornwall.
 Edith YEO b. abt 1877, Compton Gifford, Devon.
 Annie M YEO b. abt 1879, Liskeard, Cornwall.
 Frederick YEO b.14-Jun-1880, Liskeard, Cornwall, d 19-May-1967 Cramlington, Nothumberland, m. Loveday Sadonia WEBB 11-Jul-1901 Tavistock. She died Tynemouth 1971.
[B] Samuel YEO b 1903 Tavistock , d 1931 Alverstoke, m 1925 Devonport Marie J RENDLE.
[C] William Bennett YEO b 1904 Tavistock, d 1905 Tavistock
[D] Charles YEO b 11-Oct-1905 Tavistock, d Feb 1984 Yeovil, m Elizabeth LEGG 1928 Tynemouth
- 1. Charles W YEO b 1928 Tynemouth
- 2. Harriett YEO m in Northumberland
[E] John YEO b 13-Jun-1907 d 1985 Tyneside
- 1. John YEO b South Shields
- 2. Dennis YEO m Thelma TOMBLING
- a. Ian YEO b Tynemouth
- b. Alison YEO twin of Helen b Tynemouth
c. Helen Denise YEO b Tynemouth
3. Fred YEO b Liskeard m in Kingston, Surrey Gladys THOMAS
a. Stephen A YEO
4. Frances Joycey YEO b Liskeard, m Kingston Albert Douglas HILL
5. Clara Olympia YEO m Tynemouth Thomas WILCOX
(f) John YEO b. abt 1847.
(g) Susan YEO b. abt 1850.
(h) Charles YEO b. abt1852, m. Elizabeth Jane .
(4) William YEO b. abt 1815.
(5) Susannah YEO b. abt 1817 in Duloe married Mar 28 1843 in Duloe Francis CRAGO . 1881 census Susan Crago nee Yeo was a widow living in St Cleer and on Parochial Relief
(a) Elizabeth Ann YEO b 1839 d 1926 Treverbyn Park, Liskeard, Cornwall bur St. Neot, Cornwall m Walter SEARLE b 1834
 Walter SEARLE b 1874 m Mahala COLLINGS b 1875
[A] Rupert Peter SEARLE b 1908 m Doris WHITE b 1905
(b) John CRAGO born 1843 who marries Catherine BEAGLEHOLE
(c) Mary Ann CRAGO born 1845
(d) William T CRAGO b 1847 who married Ann STEPHENS (moved to Michigan and returned to Cornwall when she had to have a leg removed)
(e) Charles CRAGO b 1849
(f) Thomas CRAGO b 1853
(g) Francis CRAGO b 1856
(h) Samuel CRAGO b 1858
(i) Isaac CRAGO b 1860.
(6) Honor YEO b. abt 1823.
(7) Philip YEO b. abt 1825.
(8) Giles YEO b. abt 1827.
b. Susanna YEO b. abt 1780.
c. Elizabeth YEO b. abt 1783.
2. Samuel YEO b. abt 1750, m. 09-Jun-1792, in Lansallos, Cornwall, Elizabeth PROUT .
3. Ann YEO b. abt 1753.
4. Simon YEO b. abt 1755.
5. Susanna YEO b. abt 1756.
6. John YEO b. abt 1758, occupation Husbandsman, m. 01-Jan-1781, in Lansallos, Cornwall, Elizabeth WALLISH . John
c. Amy YEO b. abt 1785.
d. John YEO b. abt 1789.
e. Thomas YEO b. abt 1790, m. 13-Oct-1819, in Lansallos, Cornwall, Mary WILLCOCK .
(3) Betsey YEO b. abt 1827, m. Samuel YEO , b. abt 1824, (son of William YEO and Ann ).
(4) Benjamin YEO b. abt1830, occupation Shoemaker, m. Q2-1859, in Liskeard, Cornwall, Sarah NORTHCOTT .
(5) George YEO b. abt 1833, Lansallos, Cornwall.
(6) John YEO b. abt 1835.
(7) Richard YEO b. abt 1839.
(8) William YEO b.1843.
f. Mary YEO b. abt 1793, m. 27-Mar-1814, in Lansallos, Cornwall, Edward Willcock PEARN , b. abt 1785, (son of John PEARNE and Ann NORTHCOTT ) occupation Carpenter.
(c) Charles Edward PEARN b.1858.
(d) William John PEARN b. 1869, d. 1950.
(e) Frederick PEARN b.1870, d.1886.
(f) Ernest PEARN b.1872.
(g) Anne Elizabeth PEARN b.1873, Fowey, Cornwall, m. William Henry Sheldon FOWLER , b. 1873, occupation Trawlerman, d. 1956, Plymouth, Devon.
 Irene FOWLER
 Annie Elizabeth Pearn FOWLER b.1904, Plymouth, Devon, m. 1929, in Plymouth, Devon, Horace Albert TURVEY , b. 1900, Cambridge, occupation Royal Navy, d. 1942, HMS Phoebe.
3. Kyran Elliott TURVEY
 Ernest FOWLER
 Dennis FOWLER
(h) Edwin PEARN b. 1875, d. 1958.
(2) Susanna PEARN b.1817, Lansallos, Cornwall, d. 1822, Lansallos, Cornwall.
(3) Charles PEARN b. 1822, Lansallos, Cornwall, occupation Mariner.
g. William YEO b. abt 1795, occupation Ag lab, m. 18-Nov-1816, in Pelynt, Cornwall, Mary HUNKING .
- (1) Martha YEO b. abt 1817, m. 10-Jul-1836, in Pelynt, Cornwall, William BARTLETT .
- (2) John YEO b. abt 1819, m. Catherine .
- (a) William Henry YEO b abt 1853 Plympton, Devon bur Talland 1815 m (1) Catherine d 1876 (2) Elizabeth Jane LOBB b St Neot. William was in the Royal Navy.
 (2) Louisa Yeo b 1879 bur 1915
 Harriett Ann YEO b 1883
 William Henry YEO b 1884 b Plympton, Devon
 Frederick YEO b 1886
 John YEO b 1889
 Wallace YEO b 1892 bur 1895
 Fanny YEO b 1888
(b) Mary Jane YEO b 1857 St.Winnow
(3) Ann YEO b. abt 1822.
(4) William Hunking YEO b.1828 d.1891 (reg Bodmin Sept 5c 43) m. Q4-1853, Honor SANDY (b.1833 d.1920 (reg Liskeard 1920 5c 61) in St Veep Liskeard (reg 1853 5c 161) appears in the 1871 Census and 1881 census. Honor’s parents possibly William and Hester SANDY
a) Elizabeth (Bessie) YEO b.1854 Christened 29/10/1854 Lanreath. married William WEEKS .
(b) Louisa YEO b. 1856 (reg Liskeard Jun 5c 107) baptised 13/9/1857. Married Henry BURT (b.1850 Broad Oak Cornwall) 1874 (reg Bodmin Mar 5c 133)
a.Burt Annie b.1874
b.Burt, Mary E b.1876
c.Burt, Kate b.1878
d.Burt, Maud b.1879
e.Burt, Emily b.1882
f.Burt, William James b.1885
g.Burt, Mabel b.1888
h.Burt, Henry b.1891
i.Burt, John b.1893
j.Burt, Florence b.1894
(c) John Charles YEO b. abt 1859, occupation Blacksmith.
(d) William YEO b. abt 1861, Lanreath (Broad Oak) occupation Farmer, m. 09-Mar-1880, (reg Liskeard 5c 53 in Braddock Cornwall), Harriet TUCKER b 1859 . William died Lanreath, Cornwall. Appears in 1871 Census age 9
 William Heber YEO b.1881 (reg Liskeard mar 5c 55 - but name is Eber) Cornwall, m. Marion Honor CROWLE . 1908 (reg Sept St Austell 5c 214) Marion b.1889 (reg St Austell 1889 Dec 5c 118). Marion’s parents are William Crowle 1858 (reg Calstock Liskeard Mar 5c 63) and Edna Honor Snell (2nd wife) b. 17/4/1865 (reg St Austell Jun 5c 154). William always said he was one of 18 childrenWilliam died St Stephen in Brannel, Cornwall.
[A] Hazel Audrey Honor YEO b. 1909 St Austell (reg St Austell Sep 5c 103). She was the last to own the Honor Jug She had no children.
[B] Iris Rosedhu YEO b.25/11/1910 St Austell (reg Dec 1910 5c 90) d. Mar 1997 St Austell (reg 12b 21 Mar 1997) married William Ronald (known as Ron) TUCKER Sept 1939 St Austell 5c 312. Williams parents William May TUCKER 1885 and Lilian HOSKIN 1890.
a. Tucker, Richard Aubrey (not William R’s Son) married Margaret they have 4 children
b. Tucker, Brenda Rosedhu Honor married Alan David Wilkinson they have 3 children and 1 foster son
c. Tucker, Barbara Alfreda Mabel married Bill Hoskin then Dave Wright has 3 children
d. Tucker, Melvyn Joseph b.3/10/1945 – d.Jan 1995 marred Anne. He has no children
e. Tucker, Derek Stephen b.17/11/1947 – d.13/6/1956
f. Tucker, William Herbert Lawrence (known as Larry) never married and has no children
g. Tucker, Rosemary Elizabeth married 3 times has 3 children
h. Tucker, Susan married twice has 2 children
[C] William Heber YEO b.21/5/1913 St Cleer (reg St Austell Jun 1913 5c 181) d. Jan 2002 (reg Truro B51 D64) 1st Wife Eva 2nd wife lived in Birmingham?
a. Hazel Honor YEO (Mother Eva)
b. Audrey YEO (Mother is Francis)
[D] Ruby E P YEO b.17/02/1917 St Austell (reg 5c 149) d. May 2005 (reg Truro B61 D230). Married to Joe
a. David YEO before she married he was brought up as Iris brother.
[E] Ellalene Edna YEO m Kitchener
a. Janet BARBARY
b. Heather BARBARY
[F] Richard Aubery YEO died 6 months old
 John Charles YEO b. abt 1882, Lanreath, Cornwall, (reg Jun Liskeard 5c 52) m. Florence HALEY , b. abt 1885, d. 24-Oct-1974. John died 31-Mar-1966
 Frederick James YEO b.1883 Lanreath (reg liskeard Sept 5c 57) m. Gertrude . Frederick died Q1-1961, St Austell, Cornwall.
 Hilda YEO b. 1885 Lanreath, (reg Bodmin Mar 5c 73) d. 1943 Cornwall, m. James JOHNSON
 Bessie YEO b.1886 Lanreath, Cornwall, in the 1891 Census age 5. m. Bill HOARE .
 Sydney Martin YEO b.1889 (reg Bodmin Mar 5c 75) Married Hilda DINGLE
 James Tucker YEO b 18-Aug-1892, Lanreath, Cornwall, (Reg Liskeard Sep 5c 65) d. 15-May-1970 m. 21-Mar-1915, in St Stephen in Brannel, Cornwall, Beatrice Mary JULIAN
 Francis Cryil Skipper YEO b.1891, Lanreath, Cornwall,( reg Liskeard Sep 5c 65) d.1987 m. Ethel DINGLE , b. 1893, d. 1981.
[A] John (Jack) YEO m 1938 Rosie LIBBY
2. David YEO m ? CRAGO
3. Alan YEO m Hilary BUNNY
4. Brian YEO
5. Helen YEO
6. Graham YEO
[B] Donald Aubery YEO m Joan UREN
- 1. Jaqueline YEO m Alan BOND
- 2. Philip Aubery YEO m Irene COLLINS
- a. Martin YEO
- b. Karen YEO
[C] Gordon YEO m Joan NICHOLLS
- 1. Christopher YEO m Julia MATTHEWS of Looe
c. Shaun Christopher YEO
[D] Cyril YEO farmer Lanwarick
[E] Sylvia YEO m Dennis BUNNY
[F] Edna YEO m Roy SNOWDEN from Pensilva
- 1. Linda YEO
- 2. Donna YEO
 Flossie Harriet YEO b.1893 . Lanreath, Cornwall, (reg Liskeard Mar 5c 59) m. Charlie BROAD .
 Richard Aubery YEO b. Lanreath, Cornwall, m. Mabel TREGUNNA
 Clarence YEO b.1895 (reg Liskeard Dec 5c 61) m. Gladys RUNDLE ( sister to Lily) b. 1900, d. Aug-1992.
- [A] Winifred Mary YEO m Herbert KASTELAN
 Horace Harcourt YEO b.1897 (reg Liskeard Mar 5c 55) occupation Policeman, m. (1) Blanch REYNOLDS , m. (2) TAYLOR . Horace
 Stanley YEO b.1899 (reg Liskeard Mar 5c 55) m. Myrtle SWIGGS .
- [A] Dorothy YEO m Douglas SNOWDEN
- [B] Edgar (Digger) YEO m Eileen
 Harry Samuel YEO b.1900 (reg Liskeard Jun 5c 54) m. Lily RUNDLE (sister to Gladys)
- [A] Joe YEO died in infancy.
 Mary DaisyYEO b. Lanreath, Cornwall, m. Graham James COLLINS , d. 22-Sep-1985. Daisy died 09-Oct1982.
 Wesley YEO b. abt 1904, Lanreath, Cornwall, m. Rosetta Mary HALEY , d. 17-May-1981. Wesley died 07-Feb-1992 at South Hendra, St Cleer at his grandson's farm.He claimed to be the youngest of 18 children.
- [A] Nancy YEO b 02-Feb-1933, d 13-Feb-1988 m Bill DYMOND and had 4 sons
(e) Joseph Thomas Sanday YEO b. 1873, (reg St Minnow Dec 5c 77) d. ?Mar 1919 m. Annie Ethel ELVEY , d. 22-Jan-1961. Joseph died 11-Feb-1943.
h. Samuel YEO b. abt 1798, occupation Ag lab, m. (1) May-1822, in Pelynt, Cornwall, Mary SEARLE , m. (2) Eliza , b. 1810, Lanreath, Cornwall.
- (1) John YEO b. abt 1822, Talland, Cornwall, m. Mary Ann b Lanreath
(2) Mary Jane Searle YEO b. abt 1826, Talland, Cornwall.
(3) Elizabeth YEO b. abt 1831.
(4) Anne YEO b. abt 1833.
7. Mary YEO b. abt 1760.
8. Rosamund YEO b. abt 1761, m. 04-Feb-1786, in Lansallos, Cornwall, Joseph HARRIS .
9. William YEO b. 12-Apr-1764, occupation Husbandman, m. 06-May-1790, in St.Pinnock, Cornwall, Honour BROAD , b. 12-Apr-1767, (daughter of William BROAD and Joan ).
(3) (2) Samuel YEO bpt 1824 Lansallos m (1) Betsey YEO b. ab1827, (daughter of Thomas YEO and Mary WILLCOCK ). (2) Susanna
(4) (2) Mary YEO bpt 1828 Lanteglos
(5) (2) John YEO b. abt 1830, d. 1835.
(6) (2) John CarterYEO b. abt 1836, Lanteglos by Fowey, Cornwall.
(7) (3) Henry YEO b abt 1840
(8) (3) Edward YEO b. abt 1843, Lanteglos by Fowey, Cornwall, m. Ann d 1937 Liskeard
(c) William Henry YEO b. 1871, Lanteglos by Fowey, Cornwall.
(d) Ellen YEO b. Q2-1873, St Veep, Cornwall.
(e) John YEO b. Q3-1876, St Veep, Cornwall.
b. Mary YEO b.1793, m.
- (1) William YEO b.1817, St Veep, Cornwall, occupation Agricultural labourer, m. 05-May-1849, in Lanreath, Cornwall, Sarah KEAST , b. abt 1818, Lanteglos by Fowey, Cornwall, (daughter of Richard KEAST and Honour CORTIES ) d. 1891. William died 1891.
(c) Elizabeth YEO b. abt 1853, St Veep, Cornwall.
(d) Jenifer YEO b. 1855, St Veep, Cornwall.
(e) Jemmia (Emma) YEO b. abt 1859, St Veep, Cornwall, m. Richard PHILIPS , b.1854, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, d. 1904, St Winnow, Cornwall. Jemmia died 1936, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Richard PHILIPS b1880, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Lottee PHILIPS b.1882, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Glanvill PHILIPS b. 1883, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Amelia (Minnie) PHILIPS b.1885, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Ethel Jane PHILIPS b. 1888, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Mary Emma PHILIPS b. 1890, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Betty PHILIPS b.1890, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Joseph PHILIPS b.1893, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Violet Emma PHILIPS b.1896, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Wilfred PHILIPS b.1897, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Winnifred PHILIPS b. 1897, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 Muriel Annie PHILIPS b.1899, St Winnow, Cornwall, m. 1932, Charles TRELEAVEN .
 Robert Anthony PHILIPS b.1902, St Winnow, Cornwall.
 May PHILIPS
 Molly PHILIPS
(f) Jane YEO b. abt 1860, St Veep, Cornwall, m. 1887, in Lostwithiel, Cornwall, Harry JOHNS .
(2) William Paintor YEO b.1819.
c. Ann YEO b. 26-Apr-1795, St Veep, Cornwall.
d. John YEO b. 30-Aug-1797, Lanteglos by Fowey, Cornwall.
e. John YEO b.1799, Lanteglos by Fowey, Cornwall.
f. Samuel YEO b. abt 1802, St Veep,
Cornwall, occupation Agricultural labourer, m.05-Feb-1829 in St Veep (1)
, b. abt 1806, Lanteglos, Cornwall, d. 1830, St Veep, Cornwall,Courtis
( On film 1471742 the record of her marriage shows a correction to the
entry "Curtis" with Couts written next to it ,Her birth was
Nov 10th 1805 in Lanteglos. Her father was Charles Courtis and mother
Rebecca Tadd who were married in Dec 1804 in Lanteglos)
Samuel m. (2) Mary RENDLE . 1841 Samuel & Elizabeth were living in St Veep and Samuel was an agricultural labourer. Children living with them were Elizabeth age 7, Rebecca aged 6, and Samuel aged 1. 1851 living 39 St Veep Village age 49. Surname spelt YOE, 1871 aged 70, widower living 13 Church Town, St Veep with his daughter Anna, a dressmaker aged 22 born St Veep. He was an ag. lab.
(1) John YEO b. 10-Jan-1830, St Veep, Cornwall m Jane HILL 06-Jan-1860 St Veep. She was born 135 St Veep and died 26-Mar-1915 in Liverpool. 1841 John was an ag lab age 11 living St Veep. John left a will when he died in 1910. He was then living 77 Salisbury Road, Wavertree, Liverpool. He appointed his wife Jane and son John Henry Arthur as his executors and bequeath all his estte to Jane and on her death for it to revert to John Arthur. He left his watch and chain and all his jewellry to John Arthur. John A was living at 24 Church Street, Basingstoke, Hants.The gross value of his estate was £594 3s 1d and net value £571 0s 8d. Jane left a will when she died in 1915. She was living 71 Salisbury Road, Liverpool. Probate was granted to John Henry Arthur Yeo, chemist and her effects were £156 18s 8d.
(a) John Henry Arthur YEO b was born on the Ship Annot Lyle off Bombay to John Yeo (the master and knight companion of the ship) and Jane Hill both from Cornwall on July 31st 1875/6 Bombay, India ( a pharmacist in Liverpool) and Florence Edith Ada WARD Sep1901 in Lambeth area. John Henry died Sep 1952 in Ilford area. Notes for John Henry Arthur Yeo:
John's birth is registered in the Consular Births Register at St Catherine's
i. Leslie Estreville YEO, born 1903 in Basingstoke area.
ii. Aubrey Cyril YEO, born 1904 in Basingstoke area; died Dec 1939 in
iii. Emily YEO,, born 1904 in Basingstoke; died in Died 1906.
iv. Edward YEO,, born 1906 in Basingstoke.
v. Vera Florence YEO,, born 1908 in Basingstoke area.
vi. Percy Edward C YEO,, born 1909 in Basingstoke.
vii. Rita A YEO,, born 1913 in Toxteth Park area. She married Mr Derby Mar 1945 in Hull area
[A] Jane (RAVEN)
 Alethea (There was also an Aunt Jane who my grandmother used to visit in Tywardreath in Cornwall where she owned most of the property. It is not clear whether she was a great aunt to my Grandmother or an aunt. )
(2) Richard YEO b. abt 1832, St Veep, Cornwall, occupation Market gardener, m. 1852, Elizabeth BASSETT , b. abt 1834, Lanreath, Cornwall, (daughter of James BASSETT and Catherine SEARLE ) d. 29-Jul-1920, St Veep, Cornwall. Richard died 12-May-1897. 1861 living Lower Winnock age 29 ag lab, 1871 ag lab age 38 living 16 Churchtown, St Veep, 1881 living the Vicarage St Veep, 1891 living 6 Church Town, St Veep and a market gardener. Buried in St Veep churchyard age 65 under large Beech tree and invisible unlees you search! Admin granted to Elizabeth his widow £97 10s. Elizabeth was illiterate signed Emma Jane's birth cert with a cross. 1868 living Church Town St Veep. Although buried in St Veep it appears she diedat her daughters in Lerry, Lostwithiel, although the address on her will is The Beacon, Weston Park, Peverell, Plymouth, where Thomas and Emma Doney lived. Probate was granted to Thomas Doney, contractor and her effects were £449.
(a) James Bassett YEO b abt 1854 St Veep, died 1917 in St Germans m Mary Ann. 1861 age 7 scholar, 1881 St Stephens by Saltash 28 m and a gardener, Mary Ann wife age 35 born Exeter living at Trehan Village (FHS 1341548 PRO ref RF11 piece 2282 folio 167 p 23)
(b) Elizabeth YEO b abt 1855 St Veep, 1861 census aged 6 and a scholar.
(c) Rebecca YEO b abt 1857 St Veep. 1861 census aged 4.In 1871 Rebecca (aged 15) was living in Plymouth Devonport (8 Fore Stree), with her sister Bessie aged 17, They were both domestic servants.
(d) Richard YEO was born 28 August 1859 in Lanreath, Cornwall, m. June 1881 in Liskeard Lucy PINCH , b.1855, d. 11-May-1939 St Austell. Richard died 14-Nov-1896, Lerryn, Cornwall. 1891 Census Lerrin Village, St Veep Richard Yeo 31 Ag Lab Lanreath Lucy Yeo 36 b. Lanreath children all born at St Veep Evelyn 9 , Stanley 7, Samuel 6 ,Elsie 4 and Rosie 2 . Richard died on the 12th May, 1897, he was then of St Veep and a market
Admin was granted to his wife Elizabeth and his effects were L97. 10s
 Evelyn YEO b abt 1882 bapt St Veep
 Stanley YEO b abt 1883 bpt St Veep
 Samuel YEO b abt 1885 bpt St Veep
 Elsie YEO b. 1886, St Veep, d. 13-Aug-1919. Eldest daughter
 Rosie YEO bpt abt 1889 St Veep
 John YEO b 1880 occupation Tailor, m. Dec 1919, in Walthamstow, London E17, Ada Leticia WILSON , d. May-1962. John died 1962, Swansea, Wales. Came from Saltash. Aged 83 on death. One son.
[A] Peter John YEO b. Monk Sherbourne, Basingstoke, Hants, m. Guildhall, Swansea, Wales, Lilian May MARTIN .
 Freda YEO, born 1891 in St Veep, Cornwall.
 Beatrice YEO, born 1893 in St Veep, Cornwall.
 Brice YEO, born 1895 in St Veep, Cornwall.
 Albert YEO, born 1896 in St Veep, Cornwall.
(e) Samuel YEO b. abt 1861, Lanreath, Cornwall. christened at Lanreath on 23 June 1861 (IGI C023071).1871 census aged 10 and a scholar. ?Died Devon County area (Exeter) Jun 1938. Sam emigrated to New Zealand and married, Mary Jane WALSH in Christchurch on 04 August 1891. Sam's age was recorded as 29, his parents were shown as Richard Yeo and Elizabeth Bassett and Sam was a shepherd working on a farm on the Hanmer Plains (about 80 miles north of Christchurch).
Mary Jane Walsh was about 37 when she married Sam. They had no children and she died in Christchurch on 10 February 1926. Sam remarried and died sometime in the late 1930s. The second Mrs Yeo died in the late 1940s. In Sam Yeo's will it
contained bequests to: "my sister Lella Morton of Lerryn Lostwitheil......and to each of the three sons of the said Lella
Morton......" More details
(f) James B YEO b. abt 1864, St Veep, Cornwall.
(g) Elizabeth YEO b. abt 1865, St Veep, Cornwall m PARNELL.
(h) Rebecca YEO b. abt 1867, St Veep, Cornwall m Frank DONEY.
(i) Emma Jane YEO b. 09-Jun-1868, St Veep, Cornwall, m. Dec-1887, Thomas DONEY , b. 14-Jan-1860, St Veep, Cornwall, (son of Thomas Aunger DONEY and Margaret WILLCOCK ) occupation Flour miller, d.Apr-1946, Plymouth, Devon. Emma died abt 1937, Plymouth, Devon. 1871 census age 3 living at 16, Church Town, St.Veep. Have copy of birth certificate. One branch of the Doney's went to live in Crewkerne, Devon (husbands brothers/ sister?), some of the Yeo's went to Clerkenwell, London.
 Lilian DONEY b. 03-Nov-1887, Lerryn, Cornwall, m. [Married Zion United Methodist Church, St Austell, Cornwall, have cert. but both seem to have altered their ages to make them more compatable! Witnesses were Salome Commons and Claude Doney(her brother). Alfred was a widower. ] (1) 23-Aug-1919, in St Austell, Cornwall, Alfred Thomas C , b. 23-Dec-1870, Tregoss, Cornwall, (son of John Pearce C and Florence T ) occupation Builder, d. 27-Dec-1938, Plymouth, Devon, Buried Weston Mill Cemetery, Plymouth.m. (2) Stanley GOUDGE , occupation Storekeeper, d. St. Dennis, Cornwall. Lilian died 11-Jan-1969, Plymouth, Devon. Stanley was a naturalised American citizen,having spent a number of years there. He was a gifted musician having played in cinemas accompanying silent films. He had 2 sons from his first marriage, Lloyd and William Clarence. Lloyd lived in St. Dennis as did Lilian and Stanley in Trelavour Road.
[A] Mervyn Thomas C b. Roche, Cornwall, d 04-April-2004 in Southampton, living in Chichester, bur Plymouth, Weston Mill 16-April-2004 m. St Dennis, Cornwall, Eileen A , b. 26-Apr-1923, Fulham, London, (daughter of Frederick and Mabel Ellen T ) d. 20-May-1982, Plymouth, Devon bur Weston Mill for information on this line email
 Gertrude DONEY b. abt 1889, St Veep, Cornwall, m. (1) William PERRY , m. (2) William WATKINS
[A] Phyllis PERRY
[B] Margaret PERRY m. Stanley James NOBBS, d. 1988, Plymouth, Devon. Margaret died Dec-1994.
1. John NOBBS
2. Simon NOBBS married in 1981 to Jane JACKSON Divorced 1989
a. Rebecca Jane NOBBS ( BLACK)
b. Lindsey Ruth NOBBS ( BLACK)
[C] Bernard PERRY m. Edith _.
1. Cynthia PERRY
 Ivy DONEY
 Claude DONEY occupation Builder, m. (1) Elsie TUCKER , d. Plymouth, Devon, m. (2) Carrie EDE . Claude died Liskeard, Cornwall.
[A] Mollie DONEY m David in Menheniot 2004
 Margaret Elizabeth DONEY (Marge) m. (1) Rodney TURPIN , occupation Naval officer, m. (2) Jack CRAPP .
(j) Richard YEO b. abt 1870, Lanreath, Cornwall.
(k) Matilda YEO 1881 Census Sam's younger sisters (Malinda and Matilda) were both aged 7. In the 1891 Census
they were both aged 17; Malinda is shown as a knitter living at home and Matilda is a servant in the home of the Sobey family.
(l) (Malinda) Lilla YEO b. 09-Aug-1873, occupation Knitter, m. 05-Mar-1896, in St Veep, Cornwall, HEART, Harry MOTTON , b. 1873, St Veep, Cornwall, (son of John MOTTON and ? ) occupation Blacksmith/wheelwright. I (Jean) and parents and grandma Lilian Doney, used to visit Aunt Lilla in Lerryn in the 1950/60s. By church in St. Veep there are 3 cottages.One was a public house in 1758 called The Widow Burns for 90 years. Name changed to New Inn up till 1848. Later one cottage became a Sunday school & " farm cottages for workmen. Within last 60 years the cottages were lived in by 3 different families with 30 children,9/10/11. They were Martin's, Yeo's and Mutton's with 5 children at the rectory.
 Samuel Yeo MOTTON b. abt 1870, d. 25-Jul-1945.
 Frank MOTTON b. 25-Apr-1896, St Winnow, Cornwall, m. Jane Honour LIBBY , b. Lanreath, Cornwall.
[A] Francis Charles MOTTON m. Beryl PARSONS .
1. Horace Keith MOTTON
2. Carol Ann MOTTON
[B] Marjorie MOTTON b. 04-Sep-1925, she only lived 3 - 6 months .
[C] Clifford Jack MOTTON m. Monica PEARCE .
[D] Kenneth MOTTON m. Joyce WALKHAM .
1. Sheila Jane MOTTON
2. Jennifer Ann MOTTON
[E] (Leonard) Ralph MOTTON m. Beatrice Ruth MARTIN , b.1928, d. 30-May-1985.
1. Martin Charles MOTTON
2. Elaine Gresilda Ann MOTTON
[F] (Eileen) Thelma MOTTON b. 06-Oct-1931, m. Derek SALMON , 16 August 1991
[G] (Elizabeth) Betty MOTTON m. John HALEY .
[H] Bertie MOTTON
 (Ellen) Cissie MOTTON b. 28-Aug-1897, Fowey, Cornwall, m. Harry ANDREW .
[A] Leslie ANDREWS
 Jack MOTTON
 Richard MOTTON b. 10-Sep-1898.
 Ernest MOTTON b. 07-May-1903, m. Olive MITCHELL .
 Gertrude MOTTON b. 27-Mar-1906, St Veep, Cornwall, d. 26-May-1922.
(m) Frank YEO b. Q1-1877, St Veep, Cornwall, occupation Market gardener's boy, d. 25-Dec-1916. States on his gravestone he was the youngest child of Richard and Elizabeth and died on Christmas day, 1916. Admin was granted to his wife Elizabeth and his effects were £639 he was then of St Veep, a farmer.
(n) Bertha YEO b.Q1-1879, St Veep, Cornwall m WILLCOCK. 1891 census aged 12 at 6 Church Town, St. Veep.
(3) Elizabeth YEO b. abt 1834, Lanteglos, Cornwall, occupation Servant, d. 02-Jan-1852. 1851 living at 39 St Veep Village age 17 and a servant. Buried with other Yeos under a Beech tree in St Veep graveyard.
(4) Mary Ann YEO b. abt 1838, Lanteglos, Cornwall. 1851 scholar age 13.
(5) Samuel YEO b. Jan 28 1841. , Lanteglos, Cornwall. His occupation is listed as 'hind' on his daughter Anna's marriage certificate. Died Jun 1929 in St Austell area. He married Elizabeth Jane MARTIN Sept 1865 in Liskeard area. She was born 1840 in Bradock, and died June 1874. 1851 census aged 10 and a scholar. Born Lanteglos or Lansallos. In 1881 he was living at Tywardreath Dwelling: North Street Census Place: Tywardreath, Cornwall, England. Eliza YEO M 41 F Tywardreath, Cornwall, England Head ((Mariner's Wife)) (Source: FHL Film 1341552 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2299 Folio 85 Page 1)
Samuel died on the 29th of March, 1929 and was then living at Elderfield, Tywardreath Probate was granted to his son, Samuel John Yeo of 1, Carlton Villa, Queen's Road, St Thomas, Exeter, then a motor engineer. Samuel's estate was worth L1185 14s 2d
This is his will, This is the last will and testament of me Samuel Yeo of Elderfield in the parish of Twardreath, retired mariner.
I give and bequeath unto my niece Eliza Beatrice Martin (Lila) Martin, the sum of two hundred pounds and the basket of shell flowers, all my silver plated articles, all my knives, forks and spoons, all my dinner and tea sets, all my crockery, all my bedding, Buffet in the Kitchen, Kitchen table, linen cupboard and one chest of drawers free of legacy duty and to my grandson Haviland Davey son of my daughter Ethel May Davey, my gold watch.
I request the aforesaid Eliza Beatrice Martin to hold in trust the aforesaid watch for Haviland Davey the aforesaid. The remainder of my property estate
and effects of what nature or kind soever and wheresoever the same may be I give and bequeath unto my four children, Samuel John, Hedley, Ethel May and Lilian Joan, their heirs executors or assigns in equal portions. I appoint my son the aforesaid Samuel John to be executor of this my last will and
hereby revoke all other wills,
Signed Samuel Yeo 13th March, 1925
Witnessed by Amelia Clayton and Caleb Thomas.
i. Llewellyn YEO, born 17 May 1868 in Par, Cornwall, England. He married x between April-June 1903 in St Austell area.
ii. Samuel John YEO, born 1871. born 1871 in Twardreath; died 15 Dec 1933 in Smedley Hydro, Matlock, Derbyshire, England.
He married Alice Maud DYMOND 9 August 1897 in Alphington. Alice's parents were George William Dymond and Jane Meathrel.
Notes for Samuel John Yeo:
Samuel John died suddenly, on the 15th October, 1933 at Smedley Hydro,
Matlock, Derby, Probate
was granted to his wife Alice Maud Yeo and his effects were L3,772
This prompted several newspaper reports to be written on his life
(I also have a newspaper photograph of Samuel - Sheila Yeo)
WESTERN MORNING NEWS
Death Mr S J Yeo
PASSES WHILE ON VISIT TO MATLOCK
One of the best known business men in the city, Mr S J Yeo, Carlton Villas,
Queens Road, Exeter, died in Derbyshire yesterday. He left home as recently
as ednesday of last week, and was staying at a Matlock Hydro for the benfit
of his health.
Mr Yeo, who was aged 62 years, served for over 20 years in the Merchant
Service, in which he was a captain, before going into business. He was
still a young man when he joined the firm of Messrs A Davey and Sons, motor
and cycle dealers, of St Sidwell, Exeter. The firm subsequently moved to
Bath Road. Mr Yeo became a partner, and after some years head of the firm.
Largely through his business acumen and enterprise the business expanded and
for several years has been carried on, under the title of Messrs Yeo and
Davey at St Sidwell's and close to the original premises.
Partly because of business interests, Mr Yeo had not been identified with
the public life of the city since the war. In 1914 he sought election to
the City Council as a Conservative for Exwick Ward, but was unsuccessful.
Four years later, however he was co-opted a member in succession to the late
Mr A M Hutchings.
In 1921 he was nominated as a candidate for St Sidwell's Ward and was
defeated by a surprisingly large majority by Mr W Mitchell, who was one of
the first candidates of the shortlived Ratepayers' Association.
The margin of his defeat was attributed to the fact that he suggested that
instead of a contest the representation of the ward should be decided by a
gamble - that the name of the candidate first drawn from a hat should win
the seat. This sporting gesture was typical of him, but it cost him a good
deal of public favour, and he took no further active interest in municipal
Mr Yeo was one of the earliest members of the old Exeter Golf Club, a
director of the Exeter and County Club and also a Freemason. He leaves a
widow and one daughter.
TRAGEDY AT SEA
During his seafaring days Mr Yeo was closely associated with the present
Lord Glanely, then Mr W J Tatem. Tragedy was associated with his decision
to terminate his career in the merchant service. While he was on leave the
ship he commanded, the Thistlemore, was lost off the North Devon Coast, a
number of her crew drowned,
The tragedy came as a great shock to Mr Yeo, and was soon followed by his
decision to take up a shore occupation.
WESTERN MORNING NEWS
SEA TRAGEDY RECALLED
A tragedy pf the Bristol Channel of nearly a quarter of a century ago is
recalled by the death of Mr S J Yeo, a well known Exeter business man. Mr
Yeo at one time commanded the S.S. Thistlemor, which floundered off Clovelly
on a wild night in December, 1909, with the loss of 21 of her crew,
including Capt Anderson, who was in charge of the vessel at the time, and
who had previously sailed in her as chief officer. Mr Yeo was not in the
vessel then, being on leave.
Arising out of the disaster, the worst for many years off the coast, there
was considerable criticism of the system of coast-watching then in
operation. There were public meetings of protest in North Devon towns,
while at Bideford there was formed "The Association for the Efficent
Watching of our Coasts". Feeling ran so high in the Northam district that a
private watchman was put on duty for the rest of the winter, and was paid by
Many of the bodies were washed ashore at Westward Ho and at one of the
funeral services in Northam Church when a long line of coffins rested in the
aisle, it is estimated that some 2,000 peple attended. Rev E K Botwood,
standing by the open graves in the "Sailors' Corner" of Northam Churchyard,
voiced the feelings of all present when he declared:-
"We have buried today men who have lost their lives, and we are bound to say
we cannot but believe that those lives need not have been lost"
Chambers of Commerce and Shipping in different parts of the country took the
matter up, questions were raised in Parliament, and a Board of Trade inquiry
occupied several days at Bideford, at which the late Mr Yeo was one of the
witnesses. Only nine of the crew of the Thistlemor were savedm their rescue
being a brilliant piece of work by Capt Corner of the s.s. Arndale.
iii. Mattie Louise YEO, born 07 December 1872 in Par, Cornwall.
iv. Hedley YEO, born 03 April 1874 in Par, Cornwall. died betweeb Jan-Mar 1955 in St Austell area.
v. i. Ethel YEO, born 1879.She married Mr Davey.
a. Haviland Davey.
vi. Lilian YEO, born 1880.
(6) Jane YEO b. abt 1841, Lanteglos, Cornwall. 1851 scholar age 8
(7) William C YEO b. abt 1846, Lanteglos, Cornwall d Dec 1920 m Cecilia KNIGHT b 1849 in St Leatles, Cornwall d Mar 1934 in Torquay, Devon.1851 census age 5. 1881 living 9 Halls Buildings, in Tormoham, Devon (ref FHL film 1341522 PRO ref RG11 piece 2167 folio 37 page 4)
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
W.C. YEO M 36 M St Veep, Cornwall, England Head Greengrocers
Cecilia YEO M 33 F St Leatles, Cornwall, England Wife
William left a will when he died in 1921 and he was then living at 26, Princes Road, Torquay. Probate was granted to his wife Cecilia and his effects were L272
(8) Hannah M YEO (photo with husband b. abt 1848, St Veep, Cornwall,(Anna Maria Yeo was born 19th July 1848 and is listed as Ann Maria on certificate, mother Elizabeth Courtis. Elizabeth was illiterate as her name is signed with a x .Hannah's occupation Dressmaker. Banns declared at St Veep church on the 25 Jan, 1st Feb and 8th Feb 1874 and married 28 Feb 1874 St Veep m Thomas MARTIN, born 11 Jan 1849, died 28th Dec 1938 and buried along side her in St Veep. Dec 1872 in Liskeard area. 1851 age 2 born Lanteglos. 1871 living at home with widowed father. Also known as Anna Maria Yeo, born 1848, died 28th August 1928, buried in St Veep cemetary.
1 .Elizabeth (Hetty) 1875 – married Thomas Willcock
2. Harry (1876) - married Betty Marshall
3. Ada (1877) - married Fred Way
4. Hedley John (1879) - married Mary Elizabeth Stephens
5.Emma Martin, born 1885 in St Veep, Cornwall; died 1995.
5. Martha (Mattie) 1882 - died 20 Jan 1934, aged 52 years, buried at St Veep with father Thomas. Married to John Bowden
6. Mabel (1882) married Ambrose Collins (Mabel and Mattie were twins)
7. Mildred (Millie) 1885 - married Leonard Bassett (Millie and Wilfred were twins)
Note: she is referred to as Hildred in the 1901 census
8. Wilfred (1885)- married Lottie Barnes
9. Emma (1887) - died 1986, aged 99. Buried Merbein Cemetery, Victoria, Australia. Married Henry William (Harry) Willcock 1906 in St Veep, Cornwall. He was born 1883 in West Ashford, Kent, and died 1950.
A. Leyland WILLCOCK, born 1907; died 1982. He married Ethel Thompson.
B.Mildred WILLCOCK came from Lerryn, Cornwall. born 16th May 1909. She married Harold Alan Griffiths 01 Feb 1930 in Merbein, Victoria, Australia; born 1906 in Thorpedale, Victoria, d. Mildred died 10th Feb 2006, aged 96, at Merbein, Victoria, and buried in the Merbein cemetery Australia
C . Frederick WILLCOCK, born 1910. He married Rene BROWN
D. Thomas WILLCOCK, born 1911; died 1973. He married Rhonda Lamprete.
E . Leonard WILLCOCK, born 1925. He married Patricia ADAMS.
10. Ethel (1889) - married Harry Rowlands
11. Percy (1892)
(9) Emmah YEO b. abt 1851, Lanteglos, Cornwall. 1851 census 3 months old
(10) Mary YEO b. abt 1855.
(11) Georgina YEO b. abt 1857.
g. Betsey YEO b. abt 1804.
h. Richard YEO b. 1806, Lansallos, Cornwall m Elizabeth b Roche Cornwall
(1) Jenefer YEO b abt 1837 Lanivet
10. William YEO b. abt 1767.
K. Peter YEO baptised 4.1.1727 North Tamerton married Ann IVEMAY at Launceston St Mary Magdelene 29.1.1748/9 children all baptised at Launceston St Mary Magdalene.
1. Simon bp 30.7.1749 died 23.3.1790 married Agned PROUT, Launceston 1.5.774 she died 12.3.1820 at Launceston age 62 years. All children baptised at Launceston St Mary Magdelene.
a.Jane YEO bp 15.4.1774
b. Grace YEO bp 16.2.1778 died 14.12.1779
c. John YEO bp 21.6.1779 died 14.12.1779
d. PeterYEO bp 18.4.1784 . Left a will.
e. Jane YEO bp 21.1.1787
f. Joseph YEO bp 16.9.1789 died 24.7.1790
g. Ann YEO bp. 8. 6.1790
2. James bpt 1752 married 1. Catherine Chase 2. Jane Ash (I have his will) children Samuel, Catherine.
3. Peter bp 1.7.1756
4. Mary bp 16.4.1759
5. Margaret baptised 1.8.1762 married Charles ATKINS.
II. Mary YEO bpt 18-Aug-1673 Stratton
III. Elizabeth YEO bpt 06-Jun-1686 Stratton
IV. Embling YEO b. abt 1689. Stratton
V. Robert YEO 1671-1744 m. Rose CORY m. 14-Apr-1697 Holsworthy, DEV
1 . Rose YEO 1698- m George GIMLETT 1724 Holsworthy, DEV
a . Henry GIMLETT 1734- m Mary BREMACOMBE 1757 Holsworthy, DEV
i) . Mary GIMLETT abt 1760 m John RICH 1785 Inwardleigh, DEV
A . John RICH 1785-1856 m Joan HAWTON 1811 Stoke Climsland, CON
1. Jane RICH 1824-1859 m William PEAK1845 Stoke Climsland, CON
[a] Mary PEAK1845-1926 m William Henry WARING 1863 Stoke Climsland, CON
[i] . Lilian WARING 1877-1962 m John Thomas POUNTAIN 1900 Chesterfield, DBY
[A] Archie Edward POUNTAIN 1908-1993 m Greta Lucy COX 1935 Chesterfield, DBY
 Joy POUNTAIN 1936- m Michael HUNGERFORD 1966 Footscray, KEN
VI. Martha YEO d. 15-Mar-1756
Back to Jean's Genealogy Index